ELLIS COUNTY COURTHOUSE
The Ellis County Courthouse is certainly one of the most impressive, and ornamental of the Texas Courthouses. Designed by James Riely Gordon, a celebrated 19th century courthouse architect, and built in 1895. In 1998, the Texas Historic Commission identified and granted funds for an extensive restoration program. Kincannon Studios participated in both phases of this project, and during the years between 1998 – 2002. Led by Architexas Architects, this masonry restoration phase included upper story replacement stones carved in our studio including pinnacles, finials, capstones and balcony stones. The second phase dealt with the lower stories, and required on-site dutchman repairs. Over 60 stones were carefully reworked using techniques such as retooling or partial replacement. This area was the most sensitive due to the legendary status these historic carvings commanded. With Joseph Kincannon leading the team, ours carvers were responsible for restoring and replacing some of the most decorative elements, including corbels, capitals, grotesques and foliated human faces.